Support for International Students


The accommodations used by international students are very diverse. Though accommodations
are offered by local governments and universities, around four-fifths of international students stay in private housing. Many universities have very reasonably priced dormitories, and they make special provisions for students from overseas. Rooms in most dormitories accommodate just one person, though some dormitories do offer larger rooms for couples and families. The Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) also operates dormitories for international students.

In Fukuoka Prefecture, about 33% of foreign students live in dormitories run by schools and
nonprofit foundations, which is higher than the national average of 24%. As an example of the
accommodation offered, Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University in Kyushu has an on-campus
student dormitory called AP House. Housing around 1,200 students, this large dormitory has
resident assistants in each building, and various events take place in the common rooms. For
basketball enthusiasts, AP House also features a small court for playing the game.

Though rents in Japan may be higher than in some countries, there are large regional differences. Fukuoka is the largest city in southwest Japan, but rents there are conspicuously lower than in Tokyo. While the rent for private housing per 25 ㎡ in Tokyo comes to an average of 69,826 yen, the figure for Fukuoka is only 35,856 yen (data from 2006).